Sunday, April 08, 2007

Johnson's Easter








I was born in Denver and lived there until I was 10. Johnson's Corner, a truck stop about 60 miles North of Denver, was a regular Johnson family dining experinece. While visiting my folks in Denver for Easter we took our usual pilgrimage to Johnson's Corner the Friday before Easter. The place has been spruced up over the years, but it still houses the same weary travelers and grumpy truckers. The morning we went, it was unusually busy for whatever reason. My sister and I had to park in the back and I noticed this tiny, unassuming chapel behind the truck stop. The chapel is appropriately called the "Johnson's Corner Chapel." The door was open so I poked my head in and found pastor Bill Riley inside. He is originally from the South (Louisiana and Mississippi) but has lived all over the U.S. over the years. According to Bill, travelers and truckers used to meet in one of the restaurant's banquet rooms on Sundays for worship services, but acqured the old house behind the truck stop in 1998. I asked if I could attend services Easter Sunday and take some pictures. Bill said it would be ok. Here are a few photos I shot before and during the service, which consisted of a couple of hymns, two prayers and an Easter message from Pastor Riley. There were 4 people in attendance other than my sister and me. They four people were Gabe and Karen Anfonso, Gabe's mom Victoria Quintana (she is also the chapel's treasurer) and a trucker from Tennessee named Greg Compton. It was a great little service. I highly recommend a giant cinnamon roll from Johnson's and an Easter service at their chapel.

1 Comments:

Blogger GabesWifey said...

I would just like to make a correction karens last name was never Anfonso.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home